Brad Barr tonight at Matt Murphy's. Anyone coming?

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Brad Barr tonight at Matt Murphy's. Anyone coming?

Show at 11PM 21+ FREE. Bring $10 for the new record!!
torph
Alsoa

Hmmm.. I'm an hour or so away from Murph's at the moment... with nothin' to do. Yes, I think I'm gonna come out for this one. Thanks for reminding us, Cinton. Hopefully I'll make it. Pergaps we'll see:

a) Brad crooning "I Hate Love" shamelessly to the prettiest gal in the room. 8)
b) Clinton so irie on my VT tasties that he promptly erases the recording after the show. :?
c) Me glowing drunk on the top-shelf scotch that Murph's has to offer. :P
d) all of the above. :wink:
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

I want to see "c" a few times "b" at least twice and I could probably do without "a". Although it does remind me of after the Vasser Mr Davis show. Too funny.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

lucky bastards :cry:
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

6/1/05 Matt Murphy's Brookline, MA

I: I Hate Love, 74, "Freeze", Predicting the Rain, Shiver, Reddish Moon, Before You Were Born, "Life in Disguise"

II: Somethings Got to Be Arranged, Poorboy, Proud, Soft Machine, "Through the Wall", Sometimes True to Nothing, Modern Love, Allegeny St. Blues
Last edited by Cleantone on Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

please tell me this will be allowed to circulate...
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Tim,

I don't know. I think my recording might suck. I didn't have much time to setup. Brad ran late so I had to set his rig up too without him there. The only mic we had to sing into was a Shure sm57 which would have been fine if we had a pop filter or windscreen. All the plosives (P's B's T's) blow out the mic. I brought a 2 channel rig and planned to split the vocal mic and mic the guitar amp. I wanted to try this because most of my recordings of Brad at Matt Murphy's are poor due to the chaotic setup there. I put up a u87 ($3500+ mic) on his amp but the Polytone was slightly crunchy. Right before the set my mic stand somehow loosened and the u87 dropped about a foot and a half onto the floor. I wouldn't think that it would be damamged but I'm worried the slight crunch was from my mic and not his amp. There was no soundcheck and I heard it in the headphones and asked him if his amp was a tad crunchy and he said it was. I'm a little worried about the mic right now. It would probably cost $1000 to fix and I have no money. Beside this he brought Andrews new toy and "Time Tapper" which is a stand alone vintage drum machine made to go with an organ. It has the beat selection like some old organs had and tempo, volume, pitch and so on options too. The night before I asked him if all the signal would be passing through his amp and of course he said yes. This time tapper was not though and he used it for I Hate Love, Before You Were Born and one ot two other songs. 74 is gonna be weird because he used a banjo and it has no pickup so he used the sm57 on it but had me lift the mic to his mouth for the lyrics. So when he sings the banjo will drop out of the mix. The whole thing got screwed up on my side. Overall it was a good set even though the bar was the least attentive I had ever seen it for Brad. The talking was overshadowing the music unless you were in the very front row of people. I even added a second JBL EON speaker mid set out of neccesity. It was a bit better after that.

There is hope though because Jason who runs the Pub mentioned that he wanted to stream the audio on his site. Also it was close to being webcast but something happened with the provider or the service. Not that anyone would have known to tune it but they had a webcam set up. Thats gonna be one of the new things for Matt Murphy's. So now people can tune in a watch the shows online!
Last edited by Cleantone on Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
torph
Alsoa

I'm listening to Live @ 11 vol. 1 right now with a dicipating Murph's hangover... Good stuff (sick packaging that reminds me a bit of Mr. the Cake's work on AE & AA) although they fucked up Clinton's credit.

It was a very inattentive crowd as Clinton pointed out. I would attribute it to the show being the first in a series of CD release "Parties". Yes, it sure felt like a party. I thought Brad hit his stride durring set II. I think Somethings Got To be arranged went into Poorboy, not Proud. Machine was a treat, as was STTTN, and Modern Love- which featured the much reveared "Quika" over some loops. One new tune- Through The Wall, perhaps?, was insanely good. Deepsweeping loops, sick improv., the whole gamit.

Everyone should go out and get this record. Lottsa blood & sweat (and $$) have gone into the whole Murphy's thing. And I Hate Love is splendid.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Oh I guess Poorboy was between SGTBA and Proud.
rhythmicstorm
Get Me with Fuji

when are they going to expand that place? imagine how wonderful it would be if it was just twice the size.
You that love lovers, this is your home. Welcome!
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

when are they going to expand that place? imagine how wonderful it would be if it was just twice the size.
Amen! It would be so ideal. Maybe even have a small stage or at least some decent equiptment to put the shows on with.
headnugg
Invocation

did anyone sit in with Brad?
Give us the Teachings of His Majesty, we don't want no devil philosophy.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

No nobody sat in. Toussaint wanted to but didn't.
H Nugg

you going to see Toussaint there Clinton? I'm thinking about going, heard good things.......
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

No I don't plan to go to anymore of the shows. I would if I lived closer but it's a half a tank of gas and some tolls just to get me there. Plus I don't get home till like 4:00am afterward.

Toussaints pretty good though. You would probably like it.